Saturday, April 19, 2008

Late Start in the Garden

This is my first attempt at writing a blog. I think this will be an excellent way for me to keep you informed on how my produce in coming along and when each item will be available. I appreciate my daughter, Tami, setting this blog up for me.

Between rain, high winds, and cool temperatures this is proving to be a frustrating Spring to get my garden going. My soil has a high clay content so when it becomes saturated (more like under water) it takes a long time to dry out. My planting schedule is running about 3 to 4 weeks behind but I'm not alone as everyone in the midwest appears to be in the same "boat".

My spinach, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage transplants have been sitting in one of my high tunnels for 4 weeks now waiting for an opportunity to get them into the garden. It thought I was going to get an opportunity to get them planted this past week when I was finally able to get part of my garden worked up and reading for planting. Then we had two days of 20 to 30 mile-per-hour winds so I couldn't risk putting my transplants out and having them ripped to shreds. After an inch of rain yesterday I'm back to square one. Oh well, my farmer optimism says next week will be better...we'll see.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Ron,
I look forward to your crop this year.

Everyone else who visits, Ron and Joy are the nicest people I think I have ever met. They (mostly Ron) freely talk about what he does and how he does it. The fruit and veggies we get from them are superb! My kids just gobble them up.

The first time we visited there, Ron took all of us (hubby and I and the five kids) into the field and let us taste what was growing. We were sold.

Let's all pray for a good crop for Ron and Joy this year. They are wonderful people with wonderful food!

Thank you both so much!